Active V/s Passive Voice. Defination, Examples And Exercise
Definition: If you are active, you are doing something. In a sentence written in active voice, the subject of the sentence is doing the verb.
Harry ate six shrimp at dinner.
We are going to watch a movie tonight.
Definition: If you are passive, something is done to you. In a sentence written in passive voice, the subject of the sentence is having the action of the verb done to it by something else.
At dinner, six shrimp were eaten by harry.
A movie going to be watched by us tonight.
- When you write sentences with active voice, you can use more interesting verbs and your writing seems to move more quickly.
I ran the obstacle course in record time.
- When you write sentences with passive voice, you end up using more helping verbs, but it can be effective if you want to slow down the action of your writing and focus on a scene. The obstacle course was run by me in record time.
Find out active and passive voice from the examples for exercise:
1. Some people raise sugar cane in Hawaii.(active)
Sugar cane is raised by some people in Hawaii. (passive)
2. The kangaroo carried her baby in her pouch. (active)
The baby was carried by the kangaroo in her pouch. (passive)
3. The team will celebrate their victory tomorrow. (active)
The victory will be celebrated by the team tomorrow. (passive)
4. The director will give you instructions. (active)
Instructions will be given to you by the director. (passive)
5. Alex posted the video on Facebook. (active)
The video was posted on Facebook by Alex. (passive)
6. Who ate the last cookie? (active)
The last cookie was eaten by whom? (passive)
7. The science class viewed the comet. (active)
The comet was viewed by the science class. (passive)
8. Susan will bake two dozen cupcakes for the bake sale. (active)
For the bake sale, two dozen cookies will be baked by Susan. (passive)
9. The wedding planner is making all the reservations. (active)
All the reservation will be made by the wedding planner. (passive)
10. The two kings are signing the treaty. (active)
The treaty is being signed by the two kings. (passive)